Saturday, September 12, 2015

CALI - REFLECTING: Gift Card Legislation 1999-present

CALI - REFLECTING: Gift Card Legislation 1999-present (by: Paul Goree)


It would be hard for some to believe that during the year 1999-2001, gift cards (as new as they were) where completely unregulated. Not even an expiration date existed on some of them. They ensured a 100% return to they financial backers. Luckily a lot great financial organizations got together, some of the better ones which I knew of Green Dot, help put an end to the craziness that existed from 1999-2013. Only in 2013 were gift cards finally regulated by FDIC and not let to the unregulated realm of the financial institutions.  Up till then much red flagging was going on to alert financial institutes of possible threats coming their way.  Sept 2013 I received a letter from the collective financial institutes that represent 2 of the organization which I always had faith in, GREEN DOT and NETSPEND.  They wanted to let me know that I had been in association with them since 2004-2005 (the midst of red flagging) and apologize for the trouble I experience all these years later : re -identifying and validating my identity.

One such financial institution was America Express, which at the time 2001-2005 was trying to put on the market several products. One was a gift card travelers card, replacing travelers check.  A financial institution gift card with no limit,  obtained from a FDIC financial institution and the random $25-$200 gift card purchasable at many locations. Well after 2013 great FDIC ruling on the entire industry (long time coming)- I am surprised and  happy that American Express stands above the rest of the financial world. By offering Americans for the first time, a financial tool by which they can developed their own wealth. Early this year, Steven Forbes stated that in order to get rich, or make money grow. An individual had to discipline themselves with 13 months of $100 deposits. These deposits would come to represent the persons true dedication to money and desire to make it grow.

Well it seems that American Express is in the area of a new financial win all, by offering Americans the ZERO TOTALLY FREE (including ATM fees, etc) BLUE BIRD CARD. What each owner does with the cards, amounts to the owners own self based strength and needs, as learned. Also the card is part of what I've termed THE MASLOW THEOREM: EXPRESSIVE MECHANISM, by which society seeks to move away from  copying ways of existing. And towards opportunity (LIBERTY) to over come poverty.
I have had my American Express Blue Bird for 5 months now and am surprised each and every time, when I utilize a pay for service card-when I should/could be using a tool that is designed to help me make the most of my earned effort.

https://assets.nerdwallet.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/amex-bluebird.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment